Are you aware of other successful bloggers in your niche? Do you know what they are doing?
You’re likely already keeping an eye on competition through keyword research but have you gone further and considered them through the eyes of your audience?
One way to survey your competition is to do a SWOT analysis on them.
Create a table with four columns:
For each of these, as you peruse their site, fill in the columns with:
- Things they do well
- What separates them from you and competition
- Their resources and knowledge
- How big are they
- What support they have
- Things they don’t do well
- Things their competition does better
- Resource issues, limitations, lack of knowledge
- Unclear offerings
- Angle to increase market share
- Few competitors in the niche
- Social interaction or gues posting
- Emerging / Trending need for services
- Larger competitors getting most of market share
- Emerging competition
- Increasing costs to run an online business
- Privacy law or other regulatory changes
- Negative reviews
Walking through these attributes can help you develop a stronger idea of where your company may grow and take advantage of.